Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 17:13:14 -0400
I have a mom that delivered at 34weeks.  Baby was BIG 6lbs 6oz, not on a
respirator,  but is still a preemie and is in a NICU but otherwise seems
healthy.  Mom is a La Leche League Leader applicant, 3rd baby, was a
planned home birth...needless to say she is stressed.  She went down to
feed the baby early this am and found them bottle feeding him after she
distinctly told them she would be there
to breastfeed him.  Her sister brought her a finger feeder and they said
"we don't like to use
those here".  She is feeling very frustrated.  The LC was able to get
them to put in a NG tube for feeding
so a bottle wouldn't be used and mom reports he has had two successful
feeds at breast today.  She has not however been able to pump much milk (
I really wouldn't expect even a full term mom to be able to pump much
this early in the game) but since I really have not had much exposure to
preemie
breastfeeding so I am seeking some lactnet advise here.  What is apparent
to me that seems different between full term and preemie babies is that
with a full term baby they will let you nurse even though you may not be
producing much and then you go home and your milk comes in and everyone
is happy but with a preemie they are sooooo concerned with intake and of
course you aren't producing much yet so they give formula or if your
lucky banked milk but then you go home and your still not producing the
ounces they want to give plus your not with the baby all the time which
doesn't help and you have to pump instead of nurse which doesn't help.
How do we successfully support the mom of a preemie if we are not on
staff at the hospital?   Sorry to ramble, just feeling for the mom :-(
P.S.  This is a well known Boston area hospital that is supposed to be
breastfeeding friendly!

Ilene Fabisch, IBCLC, LLLL, WIC BF Co
Listmom wicbfnet and MLCANET
Brockton, MA