From:
Annie Versteeg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 18:22:11 EDT
In a message dated 6/6/02 2:41:11 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< So now what do we do?  This Mom is fabulous.  No whining, willing to try
anything, even to continue in pain, but that's not good enough.  I don't know
why W. is changing his sucking pattern after a few minutes.  I'm beginning to
wonder if there might be some neurological underlying problem, but getting
the pediatrician to address this is unlikely at best.

Does he respond to manual (expression) compression while at the breast?  Does
it make him pull back on to a good latch?  Maybe it is going to take him 8+
weeks to resolve his latch issues.  Poor guy, sounds like he and mom have
been through a lot.  I have used the nipple shield for long periods of time
(8+ weeks) and then successfully transitioned to breast.  If she is producing
well and baby is thriving, I'd give it more time before a lot of intervention
and painful tests.
Annie VerSteeg  IBCLC
Beach Area Breastfeeding
La Jolla, Ca.