From:
Kathy Bowers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 20:01:07 -0400
All of the discussion about rice cereal and allergies has brought back some bitter-sweet memories and caused me to consider if my first son was one such baby...I have a faded picture of me, engorged up to my chin, holding a very round cherub of a breast fed son and trying to force feed him rice cereal because my mom had me convinced that there was something wrong with my breast milk. After all, shouldn't a 3 month old be sleeping through the night? He went on what I now know as a breastfeeding strike at 6 months of age when we took him to the drive in to see Star Wars (tells you how old he is) and he never nursed afterwards. After numerous illnesses, he was diagnosed with asthma at 4 years of age.
    Since my first 3 sons had all had allergy problems, when my last son (8 years younger than my 3rd) started showing interest in table foods, I decided to "grind" my own baby food. I went to the local store and purchased a food mill. Arriving home, I had the food mill in one hand and the doorknob in the other. My husband greeted me at the door, holding our son...feeding him a bean burrito! He was loving it. He self weaned at about 14 months, never experienced allergies, ear infections or strep throat. He is now 13 and 4 inches taller than mom and still loves burritos.

Kathy Bowers, RN, IBCLC Proud mother of 5 sons in, now cloudy, WA. state