Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:45:58 -0600
From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
7BIT
> From: "R. Bacon" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> They are looking for 6000 babies to be put into two groups.
> Half will be given cows milk formula and half will be given
> a new "hydrolized cow milk formula" that will supposedly
> reduce the risk of Type 1 diabetes.

I saw these reports. The 6000 babies are to come from around the world and
need to be in a high risk category for Type 1 Diabetes based in incidence in
family members.

The article I read said half would receive breast milk and cows milk formula
"if necessary" and the other half would receive breast milk and hydrolized
crows milk formula "if necessary." Neither group is aware of the type of
formula they are using.

I wondered if what they would do with the research subjects (if any) who
found it unnecessary to supplement with their prescribed formulas - discard
the samples as skewed?

I also wondered if it was ethical to be using either formula prior to six
months in a group of infants known to be at higher risk of juvenile diabetes
- wasn't there research in Finland that showed an increased incidence of the
disease with formula use?

-- Jodine