Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Annie wrote (in ref to super switch nursing):

"I believe this is a stop - gap method.  Something to be used until the sleepy
baby or whatever problem resolves itself.  First, get the baby to feed!  Then
you can work on the hind milk issue which, in my humble opinion, the first
days (0 - 7) isn't really that big of an issue.  Well fed baby, rested mom
and lots of TLC are the big issues!>>

I rarely suggest switch nursing anymore, b/c breast compression works so well. I do think the milk composition is important, even in the first week. Many babies lose enormous amounts of weight in the first week. Some experience extreme discomfort due to excess lactose. Others imprint on a method of feeding (nipple feeding or weak suckle, etc) that lends itself to an imbalance of "fore/hind milk". Many babies gain well in spite of feeding problems b.c the mom has a very abundant supply, but cannot cope when the supply normalizes. Any method to get milk into the baby needs to be coupled with teaching the dyad to feed well. I cannot see how you can have a "well-fed" baby if the baby isn't getting enough fat.

"   Sometimes new parents suffer from
too-much-information overload.  I don't bring up fore milk/hind milk until everybody seems to be recovered from birth...Could be 3 days, could be 10 days, depends on who I am dealing with and what they have been through."

I understand the concern about overload, but if a mom perceives that she is doing well--baby gaining and no pain, what is her motivation to modify the latch or make other changes at that point, when it is likely to be more difficult? When her baby suddenly begins to lose weight and she has been told the latch is fine, what will she perceive as the problem? And the solution? Besides, I do not see most mothers having frequent follow-up with an LC, esp if the baby is doing well, so at what point would you address the problem? I think if there is an imbalance, it is likely to worsen and should be addressed right away.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2