Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:28:45 EDT
In a message dated 6/13/02 4:26:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> but I am pleased that her last
> couple of weeks were less tense, and her start at breastfeeding more
> confident, because of a short conversation in late pregnancy.  It takes so
> little sometimes, but it takes just as little to shake a woman's confidence
> in herself, especially when her childbearing is not uncomplicated at the
> outset.

This was shown to me as well.

Years ago I worked with a woman, first baby, just after discharge, first
contacted me around day 4.  I showed up just as her pump was delivered and
evaluated the baby and mother.  The mother was convinced that she wasn't
producing milk.  The baby was passing tons of diapers, no jaundice, poops
almost yellow already.  She was sure she needed to pump to increase her
supply (though also overwhelmed by the added work involved), her baby would
starve, she just couldn't make milk.

It finally came clear when I went through her history.  Started with some
type of infertility (can't remember but not super involved), then hormonal
support  during the first trimester, next "needed" induction, and finally
ended with a c/s for failure to progress.  In recovery, her obstetrician
joked about her "sluggish hormones" and that was all it took.  She repeated
that conversation to me in several consultations and I never could convince
her that she was making any/enough milk.  She weaned and baby ended up with
hearing loss due to chronic ear infections.

Karen Seroussi
South Florida, USA