Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 09:56:42 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Winnie wrote:

I wonder about autism.  You might not want to mention that outright to the parents initially, but perhaps you could suggest to them that while this may just be that babies personality, it isn't the way babies usually act and they might want to consider having him evaluated further.  If it is such a problem, it seems that early interventions can
lessen the severity.  In autism, the natural tendency is for the parents to back off on interacting with their infant because it seems to make the child uncomfortable.  For years this was observed and the parents were blamed for the condition because they were seem as "cold and
unfeeling".  Eventually someone realized that that was a reaction to the baby's behavior rather than the cause of it!  Unfortunately, in the meantime too many parents were given a real guilt complex which in itself interferred with their relationship with their child.  (Sorry, I wandered off topic a little.  It's a real sore spot with me.)

Winnie:

It could also just be plain sensory integration dysfunction without autism.  SID can be its own diagnosis and occupational therapy can work wonders.  Some babies/children who avoid eye contact or seem unhappy are overwhelmed by their surroundings and so they tune out.  Occupational therapy helps change the way the nervous system perceives sensory information; the earlier it is done, the better the outcome.  I think lots are parents are terrified, and rightly so, of  the dreaded "A" word, autism.  I believe SID (on its own) is far more common. 

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2