From:
Pascoes in Dubai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 08:30:48 +0400
Another fall out from these dreadful, totally UNREFERENCED books is the
numbers of mums who become completely house-bound by the need to follow
strict routines. They cant go for walks with the baby in the pram lest
he fall asleep at the wrong times or even go driving in the car if he
cant stay awake. No wonder new mums feel overwhelmed and out of their
depth with a new baby.they cant get out, meet other mums and enjoy the
flexibility that breastfeeding offers. They are held to ransom by a book
that tells them when to close the curtains and when they are allowed to
feed their baby, but gives no support and or advice for when their baby
just doesn't settle to sleep independently, quickly and alone. Our
communities of isolated nuclear monopoly houses do little to offer women
support and friendship and extended family. I want to know how
unreferenced books by  unqualified people can be published? Before we
discount them completely though we need to analyse WHY people are
attracted to that sore of style, then we can help them better. If they
can identify and accept that for the first time in their life they feel
out of control, in an uncontrollable situation, and totally alone, then
perhaps we can help them to learn to trust themselves more and their own
instincts, instead of Big Brother telling them what to do. We need them
to realise that their uniqueness as a dyad is something precious and not
something to be bludgeoned out by enforcing uniformity in behaviour and
temperament.   I find these books fascinating to read and I urge you to
all read them, but borrow copies.dont support them by buying them from
the shop.

Meg Kingsley

Lay Breastfeeding Supporter, Dubai UAE

E-Mail : [log in to unmask]