From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 13:24:03 +0800
Jenni James wrote:
>this difficulty with disorganised suckling post vacuum extraction has been
>concerneing me for some time as well. We see a lot of babies in Melbourne
>(Australia) in my practice that have this problem. I am beginning to think
>it is not necessarily the mode of delivery - rather the drug fentanyl which
>is in the epidurals which usually accompanies the instrumental delivery.

Jenni, I have also come across this in private practice. I have no
idea about the drug connection (as I never know what these were -
only if it was epidural or not) but I do feel that many are related
to the vacuum or other instrumental delivery (usually forceps or C/S
delivery - using forceps or even hands to pull the baby by the head
out that 'small hole').

Several have had excellent results with chiropractic treatment to
realign the baby's neck after all that stress put on it during
delivery. The chiropractor needs to be one who is skilled in treating
babies - not all in Australia (IME here in Western Australia) fit
that category.

Joy Anderson
Perth, Western Australia