From:
Jan Templiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 01:45:33 +0200
First of all, I want to thank Dave for this great article.

However, I want to say a few things about this paragraph:

>So, how has all of this affected my listening? Tremendously.  I now have
>a multi-channel system that can reveal subtle differences in mastering,
>and thus I can tap into the higher-resolution recordings available in
>DTS format.  The Telarc release of Holst's Planets is a great example.
>The performance is very good, as is the sound, but the surround sound
>engineering is nearly ideal.  The surround channels are used for hall
>ambience, leaving the soundstage firmly in from of you, but engulfing you
>in the overall sound much as you would find at a concert; a truly magical
>experience.  Though home electronics can not come close to the sound of an
>actual performance - and I've heard systems that should sound live as money
>seems to be no object - the difference between a mediocre stereo system and
>some well-chosen components carefully assembled can be revelatory.

I haven't heard those recordings, I don't even have a surround system
anymore.  I used to have a Dolby Pro Logic system (when I bought it, there
was nothing else available at reasonable cost), but replaced it a month ago
by a stereo-only system.  I was distincly underwhelmed both by the titles
available in surround and by the effect it has.  I found it absolutely
useless for classical music.  I still don't quite see the point in it,
aside from some works written for giant forces.  But those aside, does
the hall ambience really add that much information? I would find a four
speaker arrangement in front of the listener more useful, to project a
true stage.  This seems to me more the drawback of stereo than the lack of
hall ambience.  When I am in concerts, I hear much more the depth of the
stage than any "surround information".  Since I find that this part of the
matter has been quite neglected, I want to ask:  What do you think about
the future of classical music in surround? Does it really add something
significant or is it just playing around with the technology without
significant improvement?

This of course all leaves away the fact that most CDs aren't particularly
well engineered.  Well recorded CDs would probably bring more advantage
than badly recorded SACDs resp.  DVD-As, leave aside the musical qualities.

Jan