Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Margaret G. Bickmore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2002 16:57:29 -0600
I'm behind on Lactnet so pardon me if someone has already shared
similar thoughts.

My strongest thought is that despite the aspiration/dysphagia,
breastfeeding seems to be working in the most fundamental way for
this baby.  HE WANTS TO NURSE.  He, better than anyone, knows how it
feels when he gets milk into the wrong places -- and still he is
literally crying out for the breast.  The fact that he has been
pretty much healthy so far (ie, no pneumonia) tells us that the
breastmilk getting in the wrong places isn't hurting him.

Feeding him very thick formula-cereal mixtures, on the other hand,
may very well hurt him.  It certainly isn't doing the mother-baby
relationship any good either.

Perhaps they can experiment with different nursing positions to
minimize the aspiration.  It seems that having the baby in an upright
position would be helpful.  A six-month-old can sit upright astride
mom's leg to nurse, or lie across mom's abdomen when she is on her
back.

I think above all the mom needs to be empowered/encouraged to repeat
to all involved how important breastfeeding is to her and her baby,
and how much she wants to find a way to continue.

As the mother of a similar-aged boy, my heart breaks to think of this
little one and his mom both aching to snuggle in close and nurse.

Warmly,
Margaret
mom of 2, LLLL
Longmont, Colorado