Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 22:06:55 EDT
From:    Sara Bernard <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: final stage of labour

Dear Lacnetters,

I have a question, the answer to which is splittingly obvious, but I want to
be 100%. I've read in a paper by Dr Miriam Labbok IBCLC that breastfeeding
is often refered to "the final stage of labour" - she does not specifically
say why but my guess is because it reduces the risk of postpartum blood
loss. Is this what this term relates to?

Good question Sara, ....Could certainly be a factor as you describe above,
but may be somewhat more along the lines of:

"Breastfeeding is part of the natural continuum of pregnancy and birth"
per Judith A. Lothian, RN PhDLCCE FACCE, as emphasized in her Independent
Study Continuing Education Program from Lamaze International.

Debbie Tobin
RN BSN IBCLC LCCE
Springfield, Virginia USA
In the Fairfax County suburbs outside the Washington DC beltway
<A HREF="http://www.bestbreastfeeding.info/">www.BestBreastfeeding.Info</A>