From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:24:10 EDT
Dear Friends:
     (Especially for those in the USA)
     The AAP has had a lovely bf policy since 1997. The Goals for the Nation,
Healthy Children 2010 say that 75% of moms should initiate bf, that 50% of
those should be bf at 6 months, and 25% should be bf at one year.
       So when breastfeeding is promoted in childbirth classes, the
instructor is teaching the class material that is in line with national
goals, as with immunizations and car seats and well-baby care.
     No place for guilt when we are discussing goals for the health of our
nation.
     We can't stop people for blaming us for their poor decisions; we can
also refuse to be sucked into that vortex. I am not responsible for your
feelings. I am responsible to present accurate and current information in a
childbirth class; what you do with it is your business.
     Warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, MSN, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CIMI, CCE, craniosacral therapy
Adjunct faculty, Union Institute and University, Maternal and Child Health:
Lactation Consulting
Supporting the WHO Code and the Mother Friendly Childbirth Initiative