Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 23:07:54 -0400
7bit
From:
"Kermaline J. Cotterman" <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
Charity writes:

<It seems to me that the current research that supports breast emptying
having a greater, more important role than we thought in the past has
been
very well done and compelling.>

History repeats itself. This is not the first time this idea has
surfaced. 50-60 years ago, an early breastfeeding education pioneer Dr.
Harold Waller in Woolwich, England had a thriving practice in several
hospitals, and taught midwives to teach mothers to hand express milk out
after each feeding to "empty" the breast so as to keep up the supply.

He was very knowledgeable about the current findings of the dairy
researchers, who were the first to scientifically prove the mechanism of
the milk ejection reflex. He "translated" it into his practice:

"Our failures have greatly decreased in number since the manual removal
of residual milk from the outset of secretion has been made a routine
practice and not confined to those in whom (milk) tension was obviously
excessive."

Waller, Harold "The Breasts and Breastfeeding",William Heinemann Medical
Books, Ltd. London, 1957.

Jean