From:
Mary Janowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:52:05 EDT
Dear Lactnet -
Let me introduce myself. I am a hospital based RN, IBCLC and nursed both of
my own children eons ago. I work in an inner city small hospital serving an
Hispanic welfare population. Currently our neonatologists, using Dr. Lucas'
info on supplementation and brain growth for preemies, are having our
preemies go home on breast and supplement and advocate this for at least a
year. My question, to especially Nancy Wight, and any others who deal with
this issue - is - what is the best way to make sure the babes get
supplemented but protect the breastfeeding at the same time. Most of my Moms
detest the SNS. So far I have them either, alternate feeds, while pumping on
the  formula times or breast feed most of the feeds and then have two bottles
given during the day or night.  I really dont know what other options I might
suggest.  Im trying to emphasize that both the breast and formula are
necessary so they dont give up the breast. Since we only started this in the
last  few months I dont know yet what kind of success rate we have.   Any
suggestions would be appreciated greatly.

Warmly,  Mary Janowitz, RN, IBCLC, St. Lukes  Hospital, SF, CA