From:
Tim Horwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:47:27 +0100
Mimi Ezust wrote:

>I'm also more partial to the string quartets (yes, every one of them) than
>to his symphonic works, but that's just because I'm prejudiced.  If you are
>just starting out, try op. 33, branch to op.20 (#4 is my favorite) and op.
>76.  But they are all terrific.

Looking through my old collection of LPs I have a boxed set which includes
Op 76 but not op 33.  The BBC broadcast a lot of Haydn quite a while back
which I taped including Op 20 No 4 so you are in good company.  They also
did a selection of piano sonatas, piano trios and songs.  I was reading
Robbins Landon and he thought that the Viennese classical style starts
with Op 20 and Sym 44.  Many thanks to all the other suggestions.

Tim Horwood