From:
"Mading, Winifred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 21:46:18 -0500
I see a lot of at least initial feeding difficulty with vacuum extractions.
When a baby has one, I always hope the bruise is off to one side rather than
centered on the back of the head.  It really helps to be able to position
baby so that the bruise is "facing up".  This means cradle (or cross cradle)
on one side and "football" on the other.  They seem to be most bothered when
they are lying with the bruise facing down.  Some docs are open to giving
baby some Tylenol drops before feeding.  Most do seem to clear up in a
couple days, but too often, baby gets other feeding because they aren't
nursing well!  I see bottle babies that don't do well at first either with a
vacuum bruise.  I always ask what they plan to supplement them with! (tongue
not so far in cheek)

The topic of "near term" (35-37 weekers usually) infants was addressed at I
think the 2000 ILCA Conference - you might want to get a copy of the
syllabus-don't remember offhand if the speaker had a good outline etc. in
there.

Winnie