From:
Barbara Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 00:59:30 EDT
About 7 or 8 years ago, when I was a LLL Leader but not yet an IBCLC, when my
oldest son was being diagnosed with autism, we did the Denver Developmental
Test.  At that time, the baby bottle question was part of the test.  I wrote
a factual, nonranting letter to the tests designer  explaining my problem
with using this behavior as a screening tool.  What I got back truly
discouraged me.  Essentially, his tone (and I forget his name) was "you
ignorant, holier-than-thou mommies are all alike---just do your mommy thing
and don't try to out-think us.  We are PhD's and MDs".  It was incredibly
rude and awful.  If you write, I'd be curious if Lactnetters get the same
response today.

Barbara M. Ash, MA, IBCLC
Canberra, Australia