From:
Barb Strange <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 19:18:55 -0700
Cindy, I must respectfully disagree with you about the growth charts from
the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), found on the
KidsHealth.org/Nemours Foundation website.  I didn't think they were so good
at all, because there is no category for breastfeeding babies in the charts,
no place to note the feeding method on the charts that I could see, and no
mention of the different growth curve of breastfed babies.  I looked at the
NCHS website as well and found the same thing.  I'm appalled, actually!
They haven't done these charts since 1977 and this is the best they could
come up with?!

I also took a look at the feeding info on the KidsHealth.org website and
didn't much like what I saw in relation to breastfeeding.  (Cindy, I know
you probably weren't looking at the feeding sections of the KidsHealth.org
website when you "semi-endorsed" it, just the growth chart part.)  For
example, it says, "For those women who are unable to breastfeed, or who
choose not to, today's formulas provide a good alternative in terms of how
easy they are for babies to digest and the nutrients they provide."  Not!
Bottle-feeding is described as "convenient" and "flexible".  Although some
of the disadvantages of formula are listed ("expensive" and "lacks
antibodies"), no where is it stated (that I could see) that formula feeding
results in higher morbidity and mortality - ie. the effects of "lacks
antibodies" and "can't match complexity" are not spelled out for people -
although I suppose some of this could be inferred through reading the
"fights infection" section of the breastfeeding page.

It is suggested that after one year of age is probably a good time to start
weaning ("A 2-year-old toddler, for example, is likely to be much more
attached to the breast and less flexible about giving it up.").  The
introduction of solids is suggested at 4 to 6 months, despite the WHO
recommendation that babies be exclusively breastfed until 6 months and the
AAP statement that "Exclusive breastfeeding is ideal nutrition and sufficien
t to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6
months after birth."  Non-organic failure to thrive is treated with solids
and a high-density formula, according to the website.  No mention of
improving the effectiveness of breastfeeding, pumping, etc.

And if I read (or hear) one more time that "babies usually eat eight to 12
times in a 24-hour period", I am going to scream!!!  LOTS of babies eat more
frequently than that - eg. mine - and have huge weight gains to boot - and
women need to be told the truth about that so that they are not constantly
questioning their milk production and so they have something to say when
significant others question feeding frequency.

Yes, I know I'm speaking (mostly) to the converted here, but I just have to
get this off my chest (breasts?)!!

I have written a short email to the NCHS about the lack of charts for
breastfeeding babies, (at least on their website).  Here it is:

Dear Sir or Madam:

I have just been looking at the new growth charts from your department.
Once again it seems that breastfeeding does not make it onto the horizon.  I
have looked through your new growth charts and find absolutely no reference
to breastfed babies.

As I'm sure you know, exclusively or primarily breastfed babies gain more
slowly and are leaner at one year than formula fed babies.  As Dewey et al
(1992, 1993, 1996) found, "the slower growth rates and lower energy intake
of the breastfed infants were associated with normal or accelerated
development and less morbidity from infectious illness." (Lawrence RA &
Lawrence RL.  Breastfeeding: A Guide for the Medical Profession, 5th, ed.
[1999], p. 398)  What this means is "that the current growth charts may
exact an unfair burden on the breastfeeding baby to 'measure up'" (Riordan
J. and Auerbach K.  Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, 2nd ed. [1999], p.
344).

This ultimately translates in many cases to mothers being told by health
professionals that their (healthy, thriving) breastfed babies are not
gaining enough and must be supplemented with formula.

And as you undoubtedly also know, formula feeding is a risk factor for
childhood obesity.  For more information on the many risks of formula,
please see Risks of Artificial Feeding, Dr. Jack Newman:
http://users.erols.com/cindyrn/30.htm

Thank you for reading this message.  I look forward to your reply.  (Please
forward this to the appropriate department.  Thanks.)

Barb Strange, IBCLC

Ranting on again (my husband says I should become a professional complainer
. . .d'ya think so?)

Barb