From:
Tammie Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:24:35 EDT
Hello All,
I saw a client today who has a 2 mo. old baby, that was concerned that she
did not have enough milk. I asked to watch the baby nurse and she brought out
a nipple shield. He has been nursing through the shield the last 4 to 5 weeks
because the mother had sore nipples. The Mom has been supplementing with a
bottle or two of formula a day. I suggested after watching the mother try to
latch not very successfully without the shield that she use breast shells
which I had to give her, to see if they could not draw out the nipples so the
baby could latch more effectively. I think this will eliminate latching
problems and when the baby gets older he can nurse more effectively also. His
weight gain is good. He was 6.l2 at birth and is now ll. 4 This couple also
had a question in regard to bowel movements. This baby has been having only
one bowel movement every two to three days. This has been going on for
several weeks. He is under medical care and the Caregiver has suggested
molasses and or Karo syrup and also suppositories which they have done
several times. With their permission I told them I would ask on LacNet about
this. Thank you for any input on this in regard to the bowel movements and as
to the use of breast shells. Please contact me off list as well as on because
I am currently "No Mail" at this time. Thank you
Tammie Gregory,  Mother to 7 (all breastfed) and WIC Peer Counselor