From:
Family Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 21:57:52 -0000
As an aside I have often wondered how much my compulsion to eat when I
am not hungry, driven by an  "it is meal time"  attitude rather than
real appetite cues, can be blamed on scheduled bottle feeding as a baby?
Meg Kingsley

Yes I've often wondered this too and I'm very overweight. I was breastfed,
but as the younger placid, undemanding child with an older very demanding
brother (my mother's description, not mine!) I was only picked up for
feeding, which in 1950 was pretty much to a schedule and never at night. My
mother hadn't really wanted another child and was very glad I was "so good".
It has occurred to me more and more as my knowledge of breastfeeding has
grown that it is the scheduling as much as the bottle feeding that creates
the problem, and if a baby only gets his/her needs met during feed time then
the food itself will always be a major source of comfort. There must be some
psychologists out there who would like to add their tupence worth. I'd be
fascinated to know what others think.

Hilary Myers in Somerset UK