From:
Pat Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 11:07:07 -0600
        >Yup and they also have one for car seats now. The baby zips right
into it
        >with just his head sticking out the top. I am told that it is now
the *must
>get* item for baby showers.

I have some issues with these car seat add-ons.  The first being the vitamin
D issue.  I think an infant that is carried in a dark room whenever outside
is not going to get any Vitamin D exposure.  Secondly, I think it must be
terrifying to be carried in a dark swinging environment, it would make me
crazy for sure.
The third and really most important thing about these carseat addons, is
that few of them meet safety standards for carseats.  Many of them go under
the straps, making the carseat fit wrong. Any carseat addon that does not
come with the carseat should not be used on any strap area.  If you want to
support the infant better, use rolled receiving blankets.  Try not to use
anything in the car that you don't want to get hit in the head with in a
crash.

Pat Thomas PHN IBCLC
Winona County Community Health
Winona, MN