From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:35:09 +1000
At the expense of prolonging this discussion I've been thinking about a
couple of points brought up by Lactnetters... the first was Maureen
Minchen's post (and the opinion of many others) that thrush doesn't live in
the ducts - and then Jan mentioned that mothers washed their nipples in
something, which just proved they had cleaner nipples.

When researching this could we put these two together and suggest that
mothers rinse their nipples immediately before expressing in a weak vinegar
solution, or I think a weak sodium bicarbonate solution gives good results
too.  This should reduce the amount which gets into the breastmilk from the
nipple surface, so a little less for all those naturally occurring
anti-fungals to have to work on.

But Jan, of course, has the right perspective on it - what's the outcome,
whatever course is followed??

Denise

Denise Fisher
mailto:[log in to unmask]