Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lavinia Belli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2002 13:29:41 +0200
"Casinmorphin -- found in the casein fraction of milk, so that casein
dominant
formulas do have this substance which can cause deep sleep in babies. "

Is there such a thing?  I thought that the whey/casein ratios in all
formulas were adjusted to mimic the same ratio found in human milk. I once
heard the argument of the casinmorphin and used to mention it, but studying
for the IBCLC exam last year I had the chance to learn about the
modification of cow's milk for infant formulas, and the whey/casein ratio
was like THE main modification.  Isn't it?

Babies' sleep patterns or its absence, are always an issue in mother's
meetings and conversations.  One of the mothers present at my last meeting
came up with a very nice argument: Breastfed babies wake up often because
they are rewarded by the warm, sweet and soft breast, the "prize" is
mommy....bottle fed babies might be received by loving arms and motherly
warmth....but plastic in their mouths, so why wake up? I guess this is not
evidence based...but very sweet.

Lavinia Belli, LLL, IBCLC
Madrid