Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 20:15:56 -0600
Hi,

A brief re-intro.......My name is Connie Chiavario, I am a fairly new IBCLC,
took the exam in 2000, and have been an LLL Leader for 15 years.

First, I want to share that the reason I became an IBCLC was to be able to
work and put my daughter through college.  Secondly, I enjoy working with
moms and babies.   I have always enjoyed helping a new mother and watching
that interaction of mom and baby at the breast.  --I feel I have the best of
both worlds--getting paid to do something I love!

I am very fortunate to work in a hospital that has a wonderful breastfeeding
policy.  We had a 79% breastfeeding initiation rate last year.  We see
outpatients, and have huge support of many of the doctors, midwives, and
nursing staff.  There are eight LCs in the lactation department.  We have
two LCs on every day of the year.  Of the eight of us, only three are
RN's--only one works in her RN capacity on the nursing schedule when not
working in the lactation department.  The other four of us are: IBCLCs only
and one is an  LC and  Registered Dietician additionally.  I am the only LC
with an LLL background of the eight.

I feel that all of us are equally skilled as LCs and the head of my
department strongly believes that too.  My particular strength I bring to
the group is working with many older moms and babies.  Working in a hospital
was totally new experience for me.  I have learned so much working with the
other LCs!  I love the fact that we are never usually *solo*--we always have
another person to bounce ideas off of, or consult with.  Truly, we all back
each other up and work as a team!  We do strive for consistency and learn so
much from each other!  I appreciate and respect my co-LC's and think since
we are so diverse, we cover many areas.

I would have to say that I would trust any of my co-workers to see any
mother, even though they haven't been LLL Leaders.  I only knew my boss
before I came and have gotten to know the other girls over the course of
working there.  I also think there is much I need to learn and appreciate
the opportunity to learn from the more experienced LCs.

I know I have limited experience, but for me it has been a great educational
experience and has given me lots of opportunity for personal and
professional growth.

Just my experience.

Warmly,

Connie Chiavario, LLL Leader, IBCLC