From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 17:22:10 +0800
Amy Vickers wrote:
>  I am in the process of writing a booklet for us
>to give all of our moms and when writing the section about plugged ducts i
>am stumped.  We have all had many discussion about this and have all had
>different experiences with this.  Everything I put in this booklet i have a
>source for- I have found "pointing the chin" in three sources and "pointing
>the nose" in three sources as well.  I have always said point the nose
>(this is in Answer book and Aurbach/Riordan ; what I consider to be THE
>sources). All of this makes me think that the thing you DO NO WANT is the
>corners of the mouth pointing to the area.

Amy, why not just put in the booklet for the mum to try to point
*either* chin or nose to the blocked area, whichever suits the
position of the blockage?

> Here is something else that I heard or read (or maybe dreamed it) many
>years ago and now cannot find in print anywhere so maybe someone can help
>me.-It is--  THat the Sinuses empty beginning with the one where the baby's
>nose is pointing and procede to empty clockwise---  Is this Myth or truth--
>anyone???

No, I have never heard of this, sorry, and it doesn't fit with the
latest knowledge of milk sinuses (or lack thereof!). The ultrasound
studies that many Lactnetters have now seen (at Peter Hartmann's
presentations) show that there are large milk ducts twisting and
turning, joining and dividing along their lengths right behind the
areola and also leading back into the breast tissue. The only graphic
depiction they have at the moment is a 3D version! It is too complex
to draw in 2D to replace what we have had for all these years in the
books. Besides, it is very likely quite different from one breast to
the next and one mother to the next! No neat circle of 'spokes'
representing sinuses!

For those worried about the lack of 'sinuses' and what you have been
feeling in full breasts all these years, I think you can rest assured
that you were not mistaken in thinking you were feeling 'stored milk'
just behind the nipple. I think what you are feeling are the
distended large ducts themselves, as there would be less surrounding
breast tissue to 'hide' them. The difference now from the classic
diagram we all know and love ;-) is that the ducts further up in the
breast don't reduce dramatically in diameter as they go back. There
are large and small ducts in all parts of the breast. Just my
interpretation on what I have felt and what I have seen on the
ultrasounds.