From:
Susan Stockwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:44:53 +0000
cerviacal cancer. I've just asked our Royal College of General Practitioners
if they have guidelines on doing the test while a woman is lactating.Now
waiting to hear. Maybe you mean a test for something else, pap is also an
old/Scottish word for breast in english.

In the past I have found women repeatedly refused physiotherapy for prolapse
after birth on the basis that it will get better when they stopped
breastfeeding. In my case this applied also to a refusal to help backache.
I have been in touch with women refused a referral to a consultant for
fertility treatment by their GPs because they were breastfeeding despite
periods having returned.

It would be interesting to know how widespread the refusal fo medical help
to women because they are lactating actually is.

I have also come across women who said quite openly that they would be
afraid to go to their GP for medical treatment of a breast infection as he
might strike them off their list of patients for refusing to stop
breastfeeding.

Another woman I was helping reported her GP very grumpy when she said she
was breastfeeding and asked for medication for a stiff neck compatible with
breastfeeding. When she picked up the medication from the pharmacy it stated
clearly not to use it if breastfeeding.

My own GP has masses of leaflets from formula companies in the general
waiting area, but I have never seen anything there on breastfeeding. I
mention this not as a question on me but looking for examples out there of
good practise or mutual commisseration about similar situations.

Susan Stockwell
Poole UK