From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 23:02:07 +0100
Amniotic fluid was mentioned as an indicator for pollution, but this doesn't
make sense to me.  The only fat in amniotic fluid is vernix, because it
washes off the baby.  The fluid itself will contain whatever water-soluble
things the mother has ingested, and amniotic fluid takes on the aromas of
spices, or smells like tobacco smoke, if the mother uses these things.
Garlic eaten by mother, makes amniotic fluid smell and taste like garlic.
(It is likely that our tastebuds are primed for the family diet, or at least
the maternal one, long before birth.  The diet continues to influence the
taste of the milk, so babies get acquainted with the local cuisine early
on.)  Amniotic fluid is continuously replenished until the placenta is
delivered, so I don't see how it can be an indicator for these long-term
contaminants.  Maybe someone out there can enlighten me.

Sandra, did you not have an answer to my question about what portion of the
contaminant load is transferred to the baby in the first 3, 6, 12 or 48
months?  Is it a constant rate, or is the concentration higher at the
beginning, and if so, how much higher?  And what, if any, difference is
there in toxin amounts transferred to firstborns, and subsequent children?

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway