From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 04:46:15 +0000
   Frederic Chopin(1810-1849)
       Preludes, Opus 28

Alain Planes
Harmonia Mundi 901721
Recorded 2000

Alain Planes has recorded frequently for Harmonia Mundi.  His recent project
of recording Schubert's piano works has been well received, and he has a
new disc out of Haydn piano sonatas.  Personally, I've always thought very
well of his recordings, considering him a very tasteful artist who makes
his best attempt to give us a composer's essence.

The choice of piano for Mr.  Planes is a Steinway concert grand built in
1906.  I can't deny that it's a glorious sounding instrument which has
plenty of depth and richness along with a bright sound that never becomes
unattractive.  The engineers have given the performances a 'full' acoustic
which still allows for sufficient detail.

To be honest, it took a few listenings for me to really warm to the piano
and the performances; now, I'm entirely hooked on both.  The acoustic is
rich, the piano is rich, and Planes is rich as well.  Just listen to the
13th Prelude which oozes beauty from every pore.

The bleak preludes(2-4-6-20)get incisive performances from Planes,
particularly the 4th Prelude which conveys an intense sadness.  Planes
and his piano always sparkle at the right moments, and he invests the
21st Prelude with as much mystery as I've ever heard.  Best of all is
his commanding 15th Prelude with a second section that makes me feel
that relentless and evil steps are closing in on me.

Planes offers the total package in fantastic sound.  My sole complaint is
that he flattens the dotted rhythms in the 9th Prelude, and it's a minor
note as the performance still maintains a fine degree of regal ceremony.

Don's Conclusions: Alain Planes does himself proud with an exceptional
set of performances of Chopin's Preludes.  You won't find a richer version
that eschews sentimentality or flights of romantic-overdrive.  If my
perceptions are correct, I can't imagine anyone not being attracted to
these consistently engaging readings, and Planes now joins the upper crust
of recorded performances.

One note to bring out how opposite we can be in preference.  As stated
above, I find the 15th Prelude to be the best that Planes has to offer.
As it happens, the reviewer on the Classics Today website didn't greatly
like the Planes performances, and he singled out only the 15th Prelude for
criticism; the complaint is that the piece is played too safely, and I
haven't a clue what he's talking about.  I sure didn't feel safe when I
was listening to it.

Don Satz