From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 08:45:04 EST
In a message dated 3/23/02 12:04:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Coming in the April issue of PEDIATRICS:
> Breastfeeding provides potent relief for the pain associated with standard
> blood collection for newborn screening, according to the study,
> "Breastfeeding is Analgesic in Healthy Newborns."  Two groups of infants
> undergoing heel stick and blood collection procedures were observed for
> crying, grimacing, and heart rate changes, which are symptoms used to
> measure
> pain in newborns. In the breastfed group, crying was reduced by 91 percent,
> grimacing was reduced by 84 percent, and heart rates were significantly
> lower.

Nancy, this article sounds wonderful and I look forward to reading it.  At
the hospital I work at their is a new protocol for pain management of the
infant.  This includes sucrose covered pacifiers!  As LC's we are very
worried that this intervention will be abused.
I will use this article to make my case that breastfeeding infants be
excluded from the sweetened pacifiers.
Thanks,
Ann Perry RN IBCLC
Boston, MA