Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 22:48:13 EDT
In a message dated 4/30/02 7:27:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> There is a surgical procedure that fixes this syndrome.  Maybe that is a
> better choice than medication

I had this condition. Pregnancy and parenting made it worst (
stress,hormones, and age according to my MD). I nursed 3 children and tried
an assortment of meds, none of which worked. Pregnancy was the worst. I had
to be in the ER 17 tiimes with my second pregnancy, often with a heart rate
of 300+. I can now write the book on WPW. I never even thought to ask about
the safety of the meds with bfing-I just assumed my babies would be ok.
Although I never stayed with any meds very long-didn't like the side effects
and didn't like the idea of being on meds long term.(I am a very nonconpliant
patient!) I finally had an ablation done when Cody was 3 yrs old. He was
still nursing and I had to wean him because I ended up in CCU for 13 days at
that time. Weaning was the easy part-told him that mom had medicine and it
might be in the milk at which he turned up his nose and said yuck, don't want
it. My extra pathway was on the back side of my heart and they told me that's
why the meds didn't work. The ablation was done as a cath procedure--no
surgery, just a minor incision where the cath was put in and a port in my
neck for meds. I actually had 5-6 caths done at various times and was able to
watch much of it on the camera monitor. Since there are no nerves in the
blood vessels, it doesn't hurt. The worst part was being in that extremely
cold room with only a thin sheet over me! I was misdiagnosed for several
years so I would recommend she see a MD who specializes in
electrocardiophysiology. The ablation has risks but it is wonderful being
cured!!

Barb Whitehead, IBCLC
Eastern NC