Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Anne Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:04:15 +1000
i did my general nursing trining in the 1970s in country NSW -a university
city now. remember my term in the maternity ward  vividally.those were the
days of wheeling the babies out from the nursery on a divivded trolley 3 0r
4 hrly ,mothers were handed their babies and told to feed 10 mins each
side.Bad luck if the baby didn't get enough,they were topped up in the
nursery.Also bad luck if i was the one to help you BF at that stage,hadn't
the slightest idea of how to position or latch a baby at the breast even
though I was the 2nd of five breastfed girls.
This hospital activially encouraged breastfeeding but certainly wouldn't
have met the baby friendly hospital criteria .
Mothers were shown how to change up,bath their babies unitl just before they
went home,no night feeding,if they manged to had to come to the nursery to
do it.Everyone was shown how to make up formula and sterilize bottles.

Although towards the late 70s  due to not enough bed space they built a
maternity motel where mothers went to  usually second day .here they roomed
in and cared for their own babies. The nursing staff were their to offer
assistance,advise and education .these days they often stayed up till 7-10
days.They had to normal deliveries usually with no complications before
going there.Anyone else stayed in the main section until they were
considered stable enough to go there.
don't know if it still exists though.

Anne Clements RN RM BNS
Brisbane QLD