From:
Christine Raasch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:26:16 -0500
Sally

I have been working with a mother and baby since delivery four weeks ago.
Baby has a very tight, short frenulum that would require a frenuloplasty.
The tight short frenulum wasn't evident until I ran my finger under his
tongue and could feel he tight band. This infant also has a high palate and
initially he was a very sleepy disinterested nurser. The mother has gone to
a regular ENT, a pediatric ENT at our Children's Hospital and both have told
her there was nothing to do. The first ENT will re-evaluate in three months.
The pediatric ENT told her she can bottle feed! I could refer her to one
more physician, but in her words, the bills are coming in. Insurance doesn't
cover it all. She is currently expressing milk for the baby, trying to put
the baby to breast as often as she can until it becomes to painful. I feel
very frustrated for her and with her because I know this is something that
could be taken care of. We spoke on Tuesday and she plans to continue to
pump for now. She told me the one thing that has kept her going through all
this was my support. My client is intelligent and motivated. She hasn't
given up and she's doing the best she can. Keep supporting your client and
meet her where she's at.

Christine