From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:50:33 +1100
Mike Leghorn:

>Btw, did you know that Beethoven took the dah dee daahhh, duh dah dah
>dee deeeeeee theme (without modification) from a Mozart overture.  I don't
>remember the name of the overture, but I did hear it once, and that theme
>stuck out as clear as day.

The overture to Bastien et Bastienne, K50.  There's certainly a similarity,
but I wouldn't like to speculate whether Beethoven lifted it from WAM's
overture.  There are also slight thematic connections between Beethoven's
3rd Piano Concerto and WAM's #24, but I don't think it's intentional.
Just as well they don't live in these litigious times - they'd be writing
potboilers to be able to pay their lawyers.

Richard Pennycuick