From:
Sanna-Mari Tonteri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:49:09 +0200
Date:    Wed, 6 Feb 2002 23:00:24 -0500
From:    Nataliya Wilson <[log in to unmask]>

Natalia Wilson:
# so many babies are started on probiotics from birth and what they
are given (Bifidum and Lacto bacteria) is usually found in intestinal
flora of BF babies anyway.  A lot of times probiotics are given to BF
babies to help them recover from a course of antibiotics.  #

There were quite recently two Finnish studies that seemed to show less
allergies in babies who received a daily dose of either gefilus or
bifidus bacteria. If someone is interested I think can dig the refs
out, or perhaps Minna or Hanna or Pia have those refs ready?

If the previous child had allergies, many doctors here recommend
probiotics to the new baby since the birth (some also say mom could
take them two weeks prior to delivery). Many doctors here also
recommend probiotics both for mom and baby when mom is on abx, or for
baby when baby is on abx. Moms find they seem to help the baby to get
rid of the green stools faster.

Natalia Wilson:
# baby with nice yellow stools was tested and no bifidum bacteria was
found in babies gut.  I find it very hard to believe.  #

I remember someone posting on LN that it is difficult to study the
intestinal flora because the bacteria die so quickly when exposed to
air. I wonder if that explains anything?

Sanna-Mari, mom to Rasmus 99 & someone 5/02
a mom-to-mom bf support group leader
Finland, Scandinavia