From:
Heather Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 22:18:28 -0500
I have just changed working in a hospital to a new hospital that has very
poor breastfeeding rates. I am a certified breastfeeding educator who hopes
to sit for my lactation boards this summer. (fingers crossed). I am
wondering and hope someone can help. I was taught to start moms pumping
only if there was a medical problem, like baby in nicu. Well at this
hospital, and according to a couple of the nurses, and surrounding
hospitals, that if babies are having problems with nursing, ie. latch on,
then they start them pumping in the first 12 hours. I feel like this is
just an added stress on the patient and could be an easier way for her to
give up. I have always been taught to give at least 24 hours after
delivery, sometimes a little longer, and try other methods and ways to get
babies to nurse. I am in the kansas area and would like any information
that anyone has. I am also looking at a way to improve our support groups
in this area. I have talked to a couple of family practice doctors who are
very willing to help in any way and are very supportive.Please post to list
or at my email as I dont always check every post. Thanks in advance.

Heather Harper CBE