From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:13:35 +0100
Last night at the meeting of the BF mothers' group, one of the members told
how she helped raise the bar at her well-child clinic.  Her son was there
for his four year checkup, and she asked the nurse 'At what age do you stop
asking mothers whether they are still breastfeeding?  Do you ask at the four
year check?'  The nurse had to stop and think about when she stopped asking,
though she answered immediately that she doesn't ask mothers of four year
olds.

My friend said 'Because if you have a place to write it down, you can make a
note that Simon is still breastfed.  I think there are a lot more of us than
you probably are aware of.  Maybe you should ask more often.'

Before she left, the nurse had said 'You have really given me food for
thought.  I think I will discuss this with my colleagues, and I would like
to do a project here to see how prevalent it is.  I see how not asking is a
message in itself.  Thanks!'

My friend had many discussions with this nurse when she didn't start solids
until after 6 months, and didn't use commercial cereals or baby foods, ever.
The only problematic part as far as the nurse was concerned, was not
introducing iron-fortified cereal at 6 months.  The child is healthy and
thriving on his very home-made diet.

cheers
Rachel Myr
encouraging more BF mothers to come out of the closet in
Kristiansand, Norway