Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 16:29:15 EST
Catherine says,

> Sometimes when a mom is severely engorged, the interstitial edema
> pinches off the milk ducts, making pumping difficult.  In this case, I
> like to have mom apply a little ice to the breast (but not the nipples)
> for about 3-5 minutes, then immediately pump.  Sometimes the first
> pumping needs to last 45 minutes or so, to get the milk moving and the
> edema relieved.  Then she is instructed to use the ice and pumping
> routine every few hours until the milk flows readily and the breasts are
> comfortable.

This is where I think cabbage is so incredibly helpful to decrease the
swelling of the breast BEFORE pumping is started.  Using it for an hour or so
(or more, if necessary) can then shorten the length of time for pumping and
mom feels immediate relief.

Now I realize there are some people who are Lurkers on Lactnet who may see
this as (a) voodoo (b) vegetable medicine (c) not research based, but before
I am duely flamed, I will submit that Level III of Evaluation Criteria for
Type of Evidence (see ILCA's Evidence-Based guidelines for BF Management
During the First 14 days...) states "Opinions of respected authorities, based
on clinical experience, descriptive studies and case reports, or reports of
expert committees."

Now, while I may be large enough to BE a committee, I will present myself as
a respected authority on the use of cabbage during the postpartum period,
having successfully defended said vegetable in court and discussed its use on
WGN radio in Chicago.

Jan in Wheaton, and Queen of Cabbage