From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 07:37:29 -0500
Helen said "We have a plastic surgeon in our area who recommends lamb's
nipple for all his baby's that have cleft lip and / or cleft palate. He
also does not want any of the mom's breastfeeding these babies. "

Helen, there are many techniques that can be used to help a mother whose
baby has a cleft. Cleft lips are often easier than palates to breastfeed
with, as the cleft edges can be approximated and brought together to create
vacuum and help the baby create a latch.  The palate is a bit harder, in my
experience.  In my area, I am happy to report that a mother I recently
worked with a baby with a cleft of lip and palate had pumped for
approximately 8 weeks..surgery was done at 7 weeks, and baby went to breast
a few days after with no problem. It was most gratifying to hear
this.  Pumping to maintain supply, combined with early surgical repair when
possible, is the key to preserving breastfeeding in these babies, from my
experience. And, one comment about a surgeon not wanting "these babies
breastfed." He is not the parent, but a health care consultant who should
contribute to the care based on his expertise. His opinion on whether the
babies should breastfeed or not is immaterial, as they are not his
babies.  He is most likely concerned with the stress on suture lines, etc.
My experience as a pediatric nurse is that babies cry a lot more when they
are not near mom or able to nuzzle, and this places stress on the suture
lines. In any case, this type of paternalistic behavior is not useful, and
perhaps the mothers with these types of challenges should seek care
elsewhere. I know that there is a surgeon in N. Carolina, I believe, who
does early surgery in order to preserve breastfeeding. Does anyone have his
name?

Also, this surgeon in Burlington, Vermont did the surgery early. after
prompting by this client of mine.

As for lamb's nipples, I am not familiar with how they are better than
other kinds, but if they are not sterile, I would have concern.

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet, Indep. Consultant
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html
LACTNET Archives http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html