From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 14:32:32 -0500
I've been thinking over this topic and trying to figure out what I wanted to
say, and finally decided to put in my two cents' worth.

I think that mother-baby separation, for whatever reason, is a risk factor
for breastfeeding problems and early weaning. Yes, mothers can and do
continue to breastfeed despite separation. There are also mothers and babies
who have continued breastfeeding (sometimes for years) despite early and
frequent use of bottles, heavy use of pacifiers, and taking medications such
as birth control pills which tend to reduce milk supply. However, I would
also consider those three things to be risk factors to breastfeeding, and
would share that information with mothers if asked.

The earlier the separation begins and the greater the amount of separation,
the greater the risk to the breastfeeding relationship. And continuing the
relationship is not just dependent on the mother - even if she is prepared
to put in the effort to pump her milk as needed, the baby may decide he or
she prefers the feeding methods and comforting methods used at daycare and
reject the breast when it's available.

So while I do think it's important for mothers to know that breastfeeding
(or breastmilk feeding) can continue despite separation, I think it is
valuable to recognize that it may be a risk factor for early weaning.

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario