Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:58:42 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Well, the first two new PETA breastfeeding billboards went up in Jackson, Mississippi today, and the radio stations were all a-buzzin' with the controversy.  Most citizens are outraged, thinking that this billboard is quite sacreligious.  (Remember this is the "Bible Belt" where people still have a hard time saying the word breastfeeding.  I have an uncle who can't even say the word "chicken breast" -- he calls them "chicken fronts.")  There was one report of a truck that nearly went off the road looking at it.  I had not seen the ad on their website, and fearing that it perhaps had a lot of skin or nipple exposed, I went out to take a look for myself.  The billboards are actually quite attractive, I think and feature a picture of Mary breastfeeding baby Jesus.  The slogan..."If it was good enough for Jesus..." and in the border along the bottom, "The breast is best" along with "dumpdairy.com" and the PETA logo.

You can view the billboard at their website: http://dumpdairy.com/breastnew.html  Click on the little photo of the billboard to see it up close.

It will be interesting to see what, if any, long term effect it has here in Mississippi.  Our rates have been steadily increasing thanks to our statewide Loving Support campaign, so hopefully this won't put a damper on a good thing going here.     

Cathy Carothers, BLA, IBCLC
Outreach Coordinator
Best Start Social Marketing
[log in to unmask]
(601) 372-9529 (home office)

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2