From:
Carol Schlef <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 14:34:49 -0600
Keren Epstein-Gilboa wrote:

>>Recently someone on lactnet referred us to a website that  apparently
supplies information to parents on parenting and
>>breastfeeding. This company makes bottles and a variety of other items. I
understood that the person who posted the message had >>contributed to this
site. I followed the lead and revisited this site to see what was new there.
Most of us know about this site and   >>similar sites and are quite aware of
the tactics. I would not waste time reviewing it again, if it did not seem
that breastfeeding        >>professionals  were lending a hand to this site
(i.e. the letter on lactnet signed by IBCLC ). I feel that it is imperative
that we look at >>it again and remind ourselves why we really should not be
involved with such projects.

I feel it is imperative, if we can get to the "upper echelon" of some of
these big corporations, that we make inroads in enlightening them about
ACCURATE bf information.  It's been a long slow process, getting J & J to
change their site bit by bit, but I feel that's the only way we're going to
make headway with these huge companies.

You may notice that J & J is doing alot more pushing of their skin care &
diapering products lately--very little advertising about bottles. And
they've come out with a broadbased, domed nipple (like Avent's), to work
better for bf babies who do end up getting bottles. (Let's face it, right or
wrong, mothers are coming to us asking how and what bottles to use to be
away from their babies.) And, no, I don't advocate any one brand of bottles,
one-to-one or in my classes--and I always suggest cupfeeding or
reverse-cycle feeding as the first options for working moms.

Frankly, I'd rather see more support for working bf mothers, including
judicious use of bottles, than trying to ignore the whole idea. It's a shame
the Code can't find a way to "draw the line" a little less conservatively,
to give credit to companies like J & J who really aren't trying to undermine
bf. (Call me naive, but after working with a few of their corporate leaders,
I truly believe this.)

>>The first thing we need to remember is that this website is in fact an
advertisement. Similar to our discussion on how artificial baby >>milk
companies falsely rename advertising sessions in hospitals as educational
sessions, the primary objective of this company is >>to show themselves and
their product in a good light in order to make sales.  Just count the number
of times that the product is     >>mentioned on the web site and even
without reading the material you will realize the real aim here.

I have re-examined their site myself just now, and can find NO images of
babies being fed by bottle. Even the picture of Dad & baby has him cuddling
baby skin-to-skin, not feeding. They have pictures of their bottles on their
"Products" page only. And, I found one bottle icon for "feeding" on the Baby
Center website which is linked to the J & J one (AFTER a disclaimer saying
they are not responsible for info on that site).

>>Now let's pretend that the products were not mentioned and review some of
the messages that are conveyed on this site. I will only >>provide a few
examples out of the many disruptive messages that appear on the site.
>>One important message is that breastfeeding is poised as the best for baby
(as it always is) while concurrently showing
>>breastfeeding as a difficult parenting task. This is further emphasized by
the statement "Most healthcare professionals recommend >>breastfeeding your
baby, if you can".  Please note the negative connotation of the words "IF
YOU CAN".

I agree that their choice of wording needs improvement. This particular page
was constructed before they enlisted my participation. The current bf info
links are all pulled from FDA publications (we know how accurate THEY
are!?). Hopefully, they'll eventually get the Mosby handouts uploaded
instead. However, it took them almost a year to add the videos, and they've
spent 8 months in negotiation with Mosby to quote their material. Wheels
turn slowly in big corporations--but I REALLY DO BELIEVE J & J's wheels ARE
turning--in the right direction.

>>There is a whole section on dads and instructions on they can give  the
bottle of milk, be it expressed or artificial milk. We all know >>that this
plays into the popular myth that fathers need to bottle feed their nursing
children in order to bond with them.

This, again is on the Baby Center site, not J&J's original site. If you
check J & J's site on bonding, one of the questions is "How can dads get
involved with bonding?"--and my answer doesn't mention FEEDING at all!

>>The site is also abundant with outright misinformation about
breastfeeding. One example is the suggestion that mothers drink plenty
>>of fluids in order to increase the milk supply. I am sure that you are all
imagining the new mom who forces fluids, reduces her ADH >>levels and
hinders the secretion of oxytocin. The section on sleep is another example
of information that might have possible        >>detrimental effects on the
nursing relationship. Moreover, the information provided is not only
contrary to nursing but also disregards >>basic elements of human
development.

Again, this is information referenced from an FDA publication. I have
informed them of this mis-information, and would be happy to forward any
letters you would care to write to the executives I've worked with.

Another interesting note: if you read their page on Formula Choices, the
whole thing is devoted to adverse reactions to each type of formula!

>>What I am questioning is the appropriateness of contributing to the
enhancement of advertising that is detrimental to the
>>establishment of optimal nursing relationships. It seems to me that even
if our intentions are good, (I am sure that the IBCLC who >>posted had only
good intentions at heart) we must clearly analyze the projects we work on in
order to ensure that the project aims >>are not in conflict with the goals
that we are hoping to reach.

I thought long & hard--and talked with many of my LC colleagues--before
agreeing to work with J & J. And, while I was paid for my time & expenses to
do the videotaping, I have received NO COMPENSATION for the hours of
consulting, or the use of my written material that will eventually be on the
site. They readily agreed to avoid ANY images of bottlefeeding on their
site, and limited pictures of their bottle products to the "products" page
only. They pointed out that 80% of their business (and thus the focus of
most of their marketing) is on skin care products; hence the emphasis on
infant massage & bonding through skin contact, bathing, etc.

I realize that there are many of you out there (especially those who do NOT
know me or my passion for bf) who feel we should never "taint" our
professional or personal associations with any company that is not 100% in
alignment with bf. As a social worker, however, I truly believe the most
effective social change comes about by building alliances with those who are
not "enlightened", and leading them to a better understanding of our cause.

Many of you have heard me speak out about marketing, political, and ethical
issues regarding breastfeeding. You also know I usually sprinkle my
information with liberal doses of humor. Note that I do NOT consider this a
"laughing matter". Please, those of you who know me, email me (privately or
via Lactnet) with your feedback on all of this. I don't feel "flamed", but
I'd like to know how others feel about this.

Smiles,

Carol

Carol Schlef, RNC, MSW, IBCLC
Humor, Health & Hugs