From:
The Bentleys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 22:32:01 -0500
The LLL Lactation Series (#18 - 30pp plus separate colour sheet) on
"Candidiasis & Bfg"  includes a full discussion of recommended treatments
worldwide, has a colour (really graphic) sheet of photos and written
descriptions of symptoms, and details using water,  vinegar and water, or
baking soda and water rinses (not breastmilk or anything else).  Includes
complete discussion of diagnosis, routes of transmission, etc.  LLL also has
a leaflet which is wonderful for mothers, and tear-off pads of instructions
for thrush treatment - all available at www.lalecheleague.org

I was fortunate enough to receive a grant from lottery funds, so 60 local
doctors will be getting the colour treatment sheet!

As for medical grade lanolins, I tell mothers and LLL's to only recommend
its use when there is a visible crack or lesion.  In these cases it is
really valuable to promote healing and prevent scabs which get repeatedly
pulled off, delaying healing and causing pain.   I also emphasize that USP
modified lanolin is not to be used to prevent nipple pain.  Since the LC
Series Candidiasis recommends the rinses mentioned, then air drying and
antifungal, I wouldn't recommend lanolin.

Michelle Bentley LLL, CLE