From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 11:33:58 -0500
There have been problems in different areas in relation to the right of
those who are IBCLCs and not RNs, RDs, etc. to teach Health Care
Professionals.

It has come to a head in Puerto Rico, and I received this letter requesting
information and support.  Please write directly to Carmen - the volume I
have of e-mails is so great that I might miss forwarding your message.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA

Dear Jeanette,
As you already know, I've been fighting for the rights of the IBCLC's in
the Island [Puerto Rico, USA] for the past few months.  I recently met with
the Secretary of Health, Dr. Johnny Rullan and his staff (last Tuesday) and
he agreed with me that the proposal that only those considered medical
professionals by law 11 of PR can teach health professionals about
breastfeeding (these were his own words).

  But he wants us to go through a trial on December 12 so both groups
(those who do not want us to teach) and we bring him the reasons and facts
to prove why we should or shouldnt be teaching health professionals about
breastfeeding, so from that data he will make his last decistion.

Since you are active and have more contact with other IBCLC's, can you help
me get information, even letters of support???  I need to know things like:
*recognized IBCLC's who are not "health professionals"
*% of IBCLC's who are not "health professionals" in different countries.
*Lots of letters of support if possible.

Thanks a million!!!
LLLove,
Carmen Cabrer, IBCLC

E-mail: [log in to unmask]