Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Dawn Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 08:10:39 -0600
Heather writes:
> reports a widespread belief that bf has a permanent, deleterious affect on
the mother's
> eyesight... But where on earth could this myth have begun, and is it
prevalent anywhere else?

Sorry, I don't have any research on this, but as I understand it the normal
change in volume of body fluid during pregnancy & first year to 18 months of
lactation result in pressure changes on the eye.  As a result vision is
slightly altered during this period.  My Optometrist doesn't bother doing an
exam to look for changes in prescription during those times.  He always
kindly agreed to replace lenses with my promise to come back in for an exam
once baby reached 18 mos or weaned (haha).

In my case I've been pregnant and/or nursing for the past 10 1/2 years
(still nursing a toddler).  On my last exam he asked if I was having any
trouble with reading lately (I have -- I'm 42).  So now I have reading
glasses.  I guess there are those out there who could look at this scenario
and say "see, she nursed so long she started to go blind!".  Personally, I
think I would have needed the reading glasses anyway.

With tongue in cheek and specs on nose,
Dawn Martin
Austin