From:
Carrie Otterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:34:58 -0500
The recent post about acceptable weight loss in premies has raised a
question for me.  Since it is commonly known that labors and deliveries
using IV fluids in the mother can artificially inflate the baby's birth
weight, has there been any research in regards to acceptable weight loss in
babies born after the extensive use of IV fluids?

Recently, one of our moms delivered via c-section after a lot of IV fluids
and baby weighed 7 lb. 10 oz. at birth.  Upon discharge (2 days pp) baby
weighed 7 lb. 3 oz..  Was exclusively bf'ing.  At one-week check-up in ped's
office baby weighed 7 lbs. (on a different scale) and the ped proceeded to
pop a bottle in that baby's mouth saying baby was starving and needed to be
supplemented.  In the same breath, ped says the baby should NOT nurse more
than every 2 to 3 hours.  <grrrr>  My question is, at one week pp, is that
an unacceptable weight?  Baby subsequently became extremely nipple confused
and I don't think that the mom continued nursing because of that (she has
been difficult to get a hold of).  I cannot stand the docs in our area -
this is the kind of "advice" they give to bf'ing mothers all the time and it
is driving me crazy trying to do damage control (but that is another story).

Thanks for your input!

Carrie Otterson, LLLL in KY

--
Carrie Otterson

"If we are to attain real peace in this world, we will have to begin with
the children."

       - Gandhi