From:
Dawn Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 15:13:01 -0600
Pamela,
This is just off the top of my head, which is how I do *far* too many
things.   First I would carefully document every interaction with this mom.
You're probably already doing a great job of that based on your post.  This
is probably what I would try to do in my area, but it may not work as well
where you live.  What about finding a LLL Leader who is also an IBCLC (we
have several in our area)?  Explain the situation to the L ahead of time and
see if she'll make a visit as a LLL L.  Tell the mom about LLL and that
sometimes they will make homevisits (you've already checked this out) to
offer suggestions to moms about how to make more milk, invite them to Series
Meetings etc...  In other words make it sound more casual than it really is.
The mom may persist with insisting that she doesn't have enough milk, her
breasts are the wrong size, shape or whatever, doesn't want to be visited by
a stranger.  BUT she may agree to see a "mother helping other mothers".
Maybe hearing similar things from different sources will begin to get her
thinking that maybe she CAN breastfeed successfully.  If she'll see the
Leader then there's a foot in the door, and she may agree to further LC
intervention.  Sounds like this is the type of mom who really could use the
confidence boost that successful breastfeeding often brings about.  Good
Luck to you.
Dawn Martin
Austin, TX