Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 10:28:19 EST
Lu says,

> A local hospital here uses jelly, usually grape, on mother's nipples to
get
> the baby to latch.  I had a nurse ask me why I was not using jelly for
> latching problems since she had seen it used at the other hospital.  I
> tried
> to explain evidence-based practice, etc. but was discounted since I could
> not
> PROVE it really hurt.  Oh, we use the vanilla pacifiers too!

I've been racking my brain trying to remember the name of the breastfeeding
book that was out and about 15 - 20 years ago that advocated the use of
grape
jelly on the mother's nipples to help the baby latch -- also the use of the
NUK nipple for anything from pacifying the baby to train him to suck
correctly.  I think the book was by Ilene Rice, but I could be wrong on that
too.  It had some -- umm -- amazing ideas in it.  Anyone else remember which
book I'm talking about?

I just checked my bookcase -- the one with the little-used books in it --
and
it's not there.  I did find a first edition of the Womanly Art, and Kathleen
Huggins first edition of Nursing Mother's Companion, and Tom Hale's first
edition of Meds & Mother's Milk (1992) and a few other interesting things,
but not that book.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com