Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:05:45 -0700
Here is something related to the Susan's question about the Bedouins..

I remember that about twenty years ago a study was done on the Bedouins who lived in the area near Eilat. If memory serves me right they tested the concentration of the urine of Bedouin infants in order to assess the hydration level of the infants. The study found that the mothers continued to exclusively nurse their babies, without the additional of any other liquids, including water, even during  "chamsin" (very very hot and dry periods).  An analysis of the infants' urine showed that the infants were always adequately hydrated despite the very trying climate.

The conclusions of the study seem to indicate that maternal capacity to provide adequate hydration for the young is not adversely affected by difficult weather conditions. However, I can not remember if the study explored the underlying physiological mechanisms that enabled this capacity.

Keren Epstein-Gilboa MEd, BScN, RN, LCCE,IBCLC
PhD (Candidate)