From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 08:06:55 +0100
Magda referred to the WHO/Unicef ten steps to successful breastfeeding, and
stated that teaching bottle feeding in groups was a no-no.
It isn't in the ten steps, but it is in one of the ten points, closely
related to the aformentioned ten steps, in the evaluation procedure for
institutions hoping to achieve baby-friendly status.
Any institution offering group teaching on how to artificially feed, would
not be approved, as this is expressly prohibited.  Group teaching of
breastfeeding is fine.  It has to do with what is the norm, and what is the
exception.  BF is a part of the normal puerperium, artificial feeding is an
exception to the norm.  I hesitate to call it a deviation because that
sounds more judgmental.  Not every mother who gives formula is doing it by
choice, or due to circumstances she can control, but all of them are
exceptions to our societal norm, whatever the reason.
For mothers who need to know the essentials of formula feeding, a
baby-friendly institution will ensure that individual instruction is
provided.

If you think about it, how would group teaching on bottle feeding fit into
any one of the ten steps to successful *breastfeeding*?

In fact, this is one of the points that we didn't even bother looking at in
Norway, because group teaching of how to prepare artificial feeds simply
does not occur in any maternity institution here.  If we had run across it
in the course of an evaluation, we would have fainted dead away in surprise.
One reason might be that it is almost unheard of for there to be more than
one mother on a ward at any given time, who is not breastfeeding.  This may
sound incredible to some of you but I assure you it is true!

cheers
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway, where the smell of fresh-baked bread entices me away
to breakfast now